AAHCM Addresses COVID-19 Vaccine Policy and Management
Member education and advocacy are a large part of what we do at the American Academy of Home Care Medicine and we are diligently following the rapidly evolving national roll-out of the COVID-19 vaccine. As providers working with medically complex patients in the home, you undoubtedly have questions about the procurement, availability, and management of this vital vaccine, particularly among our members from independent practices.
AAHCM understands that getting this vaccine into the hands of home care medicine providers is critical to ensuring the health of our most vulnerable homebound patient population and should be a priority.
Here’s what AAHCM is doing for our members and the field:
- AAHCM leaders are working closely with our policy consultant Healthsperien to address the issue of vaccine access and prioritization on a Federal level and to create tools for members to advocate at the state level.
- On the educational front, AAHCM has convened a clinical advisory group focused on developing guidance for members on vaccine management. This advisory group is actively meeting to address important questions such as:
- How will home healthcare providers obtain the vaccine?
- What are the recommended practices for vaccine management?
- What educational materials do providers need for patients on the benefits of the vaccine and to dispel myths that may deter patients from receiving it?
- How will side effects be monitored?
Access to this groundbreaking vaccine, for our patients and team members, is of critical importance and we are working diligently to address this issue. Stay tuned as we continue to roll out important information in the coming days to weeks!